Zoo Camp is perfect for children who love nature, animals, art and adventure. Children enjoy a one-of-a-kind adventure featuring animals, nature, art and non-stop fun! We offer in-service camps, spring and winter camp, and weekly summer camps in July and August.
Zoo Camp Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Due to program popularity and limited space available, we ask that you cancel at least ten (10) business days prior to the start of the program for a 90% refund of the program fee.
- Cancellations with less than ten (10) business days’ notice receive a refund of 75% of the program fee.
- No refunds will be given for cancellations with less than two (2) business days’ notice.
Summer Zoo Camp
Summer is coming, and we're ready to offer week-long day camps that will have children exploring and playing throughout the Zoo. This year, you will find that the planned activities we offer in July will be different in August. No matter which month you attend, campers will have a special daily encounter with an animal or zookeeper, as well as chances to explore other venues in Assiniboine Park like our Nature Playground. Zoo Camp is designed using the R.A.F.T.S. framework (Recreation, Art, Friendships, Teamwork, and Science) to keep us afloat all summer. Zoo Camp is the perfect chance to be outdoors and to experience nature with our great staff and fun activities.
Due to the global pandemic, our camp may need to change. In any event, we will follow the best practices as laid out by the Government of Manitoba, and do our best to ensure every camper can still have fun and feel safe while at camp.
At this time, we are accepting registrations and will process payment once we are aware of the day camp regulations in place for the summer.
Campers are organized into four age groups:
Polar Bears (age 6-7, or must have completed Kindergarten): Focus on animal needs and what we all share in common
Jr. Keeper (age 8-9): Focus on caring for animals and ourselves
Jr. Researcher (age 10-12): Focus on helping animals in the wild and at the Zoo
Morning drop-off time: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Afternoon pick-up time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
July 2: One Day Sneak Peek to Summer Camp
Are you new to Zoo Camp? Are you a returning camper? Do you want to have as much summer excitement as possible? Are you a parent who is not yet on holidays? We have a solution for you! This year, we are offering campers a chance to preview a few of the activities that will be appearing in our summer camp. This day allows children to try our camp, see some of the fantastic activities that will be coming in the weeks ahead, and enjoy a safe place to start the summer. You'll be amazed at how much fun happens at Zoo Camp! Maybe, you will want to sign up for more fantastic adventures.
Week A: The Magic of Nature (July: Weeks 1, 2, 3, 4)
Magic is all around us... if you look for it! This camp will reveal the secrets of nature as we explore the cool and strange ‘tricks’ animals and plants have developed to survive and thrive in their habitat. Together, we will explore what we can do to protect the magic of nature. Join us for a week of magical fun and adventure!
Week B: The Lost Tales (August: Weeks 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Adventure lies ahead as campers explore the mysteries of the animal kingdom. Guided journeys will introduce campers to the untold stories of the Zoo. Whether campers are engaging with new furry or feathered friends, they will be working to solve some of nature’s biggest mysteries.
With the seasonal break upon us, Assiniboine Park wants to offer children a chance to attend day camp. We still believe that children need chances to explore nature and enjoy their holidays. In order to keep everyone safe, our plan at this time is to open a limited number of spaces and to follow the best practices as laid out by the Government of Manitoba. Assiniboine Park and Zoo are great places to accommodate outdoor spatial needs.
We currently expect everyone to maintain a 2-metre distance between each other, except for brief encounters. We understand that physical distancing guidelines can be a difficult concept for children. We are asking parents to start the discussion about physical distancing prior to their arrival. Our staff will emphasize with campers our physical distancing measures. We will provide simple, age-appropriate physical distancing strategies to help campers maintain a safe distance, and provide activities that encourage social spacing. Children that consistently do not follow our camp health and safety rules will be sent home.
Zoo Camp will:
- Ensure our staff and volunteers use a self-screening tool daily before coming to work. Staff must stay at home if they are sick or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Require parents to screen their children at home daily prior to drop-off. We will not allow any household with illness or symptoms to attend.
- Have procedures and policies in place to ensure materials and spaces are clean or sanitized, as well as for dealing with illness and COVID-19.
- Promote appropriate physical distancing measures within the camp.
- Be accessed through the Zoo’s Special Events Gate, located on the East side of the Zoo.
- Include a daily visit by one or two of the Zoo’s Animal Ambassadors, but we will not allow touching of the animals or any animal artefacts.
- Offer some behind the scenes opportunities and interactions with Animal Care Professionals
- Have daily walks that may go further than previous years, as we explore locations within Assiniboine Park and obey directional pathways within the Zoo
- Provide at least one Camp Counsellor per group. Each Counsellor will receive support from 1-2 youth volunteers and the
- Education Department.
- Provide your child with a camp t-shirt (summer camp only)
Click here for more information about the Assiniboine Park’s response to COVID-19.